Sunday, January 22, 2006

What is a healthy weight loss? -

How many pounds a week?

depends, but 1 lb is about right...think about it....thats over 50lbs in a year...alot of weight!

1-4 depending on how over weight you are.

Depends on your muscle-weight percent.Losing weight isn t all that important, its the toning and building up of stamina that counts.As you work out more, your weight-loss rate reduces, as your mucles strengthen. You lose inches, but not weight.

No more than 2 pounds a week. If you have alot of weight to lose the first few weeks you will probably lose more than this but your body will then start to plateau. 2pounds a week is what you should be aiming to lose at a steady rate over a long space of time.

I just had a physical with my DR yesterday and told her that I wanted to lose a few. Her response was to not lose more than 3 pounds a week. If you are at a healthy weight for your height and age and you have been consistently the same weight for over a year then eat what you are eating and increase your workout regimen.

You should always check with your doctor before trying to loose weight. I am currently in a battle with the extra 60 lbs I gained during my pregnancies. The doctor sent me for blood work first to check thyroid, blood pressure diabetes. Once clear he recommended I aim for 2 lbs a week. Although that seems like a small amount in just over half a year I could lose the weight it took a three years to put on.