Friday, February 10, 2006

Excercising and dieting--No results? -

I ve put myself on a diet and excercise plan with a goal to loose 20lbs before the end of August. I m 20 years old, 5 5 , 160lbs, and havent excercised regularly in over two years.Usually, when I change my diet and work out moderately, I drop weight like crazy. However, I ve been biking 40 minutes a day to the tune of 340 calories per day; plus rigorous weight lifting 3 times a week. I lowered my calorie intake to less than 1200 per day, cutting high fructose corn syrup completely out of my diet.What am I doing wrong?I m on a textbook weight loss program, not willing to starve myself, working out every day and have not seen results in 2 1/2 weeks. I had assumed I d drop 1-3bs a week, minimum.Suggestions, please?

Two things:At your height, weight, and exercise level, 1200 calories probably is too low. Hard cardio 7 days a week, hard weight lifting (which burns lots of calories hours and days after lifting because your muscles begin to repair), if you were a man I d tell you closer to 2500 calories was appropriate, though you re probably not lifting to gain large amounts of muscle massThe normal thing that happens when someone who hasn t worked out ever or for long starts to try to burn fat and hit the weights is that their weight stays constant for a while as they lose lots of fat but gain muscle, then will actually increase as you gain muscle and lose fat slowerEven lifting low weight and high reps will have you gaining muscle at first on account of having so little when you started. It s not your weight that s important, it s your body composition.Also, 2.5 weeks really isn t a good indicator. In any exercise program it s common to look at your results MONTHLY. It s perfectly normal for your body weight to fluctuate as much as 3 or so pounds. Plus I m worried for that level of activity that 1200 calories is practically starving you which will slow your metabolism and your body will desperately hang on to your fat

are you sweating and getting your heart rate up. and drinking water to flush your system. everyone has something that makes them gain weight/not loose. example for me its dairy and soda. so when i cut those out i loose weight. try to cut out anything white bread,rice ect... eat lots of veggies and fruit is good but in moderation. good luck

Well maybe you are gaining muscle instead? If weighs more than fat. Try measuring yourself... and I bet you are losing inches.

you have nothing to worry about. One year ago I was 1621bs (I am 21 and 5 5 ) and I decided that it was time to lose weight. The beginning is always the most tough. I didn t see results for two weeks either and then out of nowhere (if you stay strong, eat right, and exercise) the pounds started dropping which motivated me to keep on going. It took a life style change for me to lose weight as I always eat junk and fast food. I am now 119 pounds (I have been for over 6 months) and I still exercise most of the days. I do eat healthy for the most part but I also allow myself to enjoy certains foods that I like. So keep on working hard...you ll get there.

Sometimes you can t lose weight if you eat too few calories. It seems like you are overbalancing and eating too few with the biking. Also, quit looking at the scale. I m assuming you are putting on some mean muscle in your legs so that is showing up on the scale. Keep a log on your measurements in your legs, waist, arms, and hips. Also, what kind of diet are you on? Diets can be unhealthy ways to lose weight and the best way in my experience to lose and keep it off is just a change in lifestyle. Eat healthier, less sugar, sodium, and no fried foods. Lots of whole grains and lots of fiber!