Saturday, April 22, 2006

Why am I doing all this working out with no results? HELP ME!!!!!? -

I have a major problem, I ve been working out the last 3 months 4x a week and am NOT losing any weight! I teeter between 138 and 140 every week! When I work out I do an hour a session, 4 miles, I walk a half mile at 3.1mph with an incline of 2, then I go to the elliptical and do 3 miles on the weight loss program, then I go back to the treadmill for a cool down of half mile. By the time I m done I m sweating like a pig, but still am NOT losing weight! What am I doing wrong??? I ve been eating really good lately too, all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies, and smaller portions. For breakfast I have a bowl of raisin bran cerealLunch I have a ham and roast beef sandwich with no condiments, and a cup of applesauce.for a snack I usually have a bananaFor dinner it varies but I usually have a salad with fat free ranch dressing, and soupHELP ME!

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper - meaning step down your caloric intake. Start with a good-sized breakfast though. This will jump-start your metabolism and help you burn more calories throughout the day. Dieting is not good because you deprive yourself of nutrients you need to build enzymes and metabolize food. With that being said- take the carb. intake down some and increase the amount of protein you eat. Proteins help develop digestive enzymes, which, in turn help metabolize foods. Proteins also help in muscle building, and more muscle means a higher metabolism. Try switching up your workout routines, too. Perhaps throw in a little weight circuit training. Even body weight exercises will do. Switching things up and shocking your body is how you achieve results. Best of luck!

just hang on thereyou are losing fat but gaining muscle which is much heavier than fatDO NOT WORRY , you sound like you are doing everything perfectly and 138 -140 is not fat or even heavy so dont worry , TAKE CAREpolly x

Thanks for being so specific...makes it much easier to help you!EXERCISEYou re doing the same exercises over and over and over, which means your body gets more efficient...meaning you burn fewer calories. While you say you re sweating like a pig, I m not exactly sure why because your cardio session doesn t seem all that heavy to me...and I m disabled. If a disabled woman can do more cardio than you, that s your problem: you aren t putting enough into it. So, steps 1 and 2: change your cardio up, and do it harder. Your second problem is no weight training. No, you won t bulk up. Look, if you want to keep burning calories outside of the gym, then put on some muscle. If you just want to burn while you re on your elliptical, then don t do any muscle building exercises. No, you won t bulk up, as if that was a bad thing anyway. So, step 3: add weight training. When I say weight training, I don t mean doing arm exercises for 10-20 minutes. I mean get in there, know what you re doing, target specific muscles, build a plan, push yourself, keep a workout journal. DIETWhat you think is really good actually isn t. Breakfast is okay, but again, variety is what you re looking for. Step 4 is to realize you need nutrition, not just portion control or fat free. All that junk is, well, junk.Lunch is just hilarious, I m sorry, but I have to say so. You re eating meat on bread and a cup of carbs and wondering why this isn t helping? Where are your vegetables? Is the bread at least whole grain? Why not eat fruits or a side of salad instead of applesauce?Snack...like your meals, you need lean protein + natural carbs each time you eat. Chowing down on only a piece of fruit isn t going to help you out. It digests much faster and makes you hungrier sooner. Adding protein slows the digestion. Try adding peanut butter to your banana (just 1/2 teaspoon will be fine). Dinner...like your lunch, it s something you shouldn t be doing. However, you CAN do this well, but because of the rest of your diet, you probably aren t. 1. That salad had better be loaded with vegetables, not just iceberg lettuce, a tomato, and a couple pieces of carrot. 2. Fat free ranch dressing? I know the fat free part appeals to you, but what exactly are you eating? I ll tell you: a bunch of CRAP. Fat free still means they can put in any slew of crappy ingredients. You may as well be using fat free vomit on your salad. Switch it up for something more flavorful. Even just straight balsamic vinegar is sweet and tangy and wonderful.3. I hope that s some delicious home-made soup filled with all kinds of good veggies and lean meat, but I m sure it s just some junk you poured out of a can. So, if you want to make your soup and salad dinner better, here s how:-Make your soup at home, adding fresh ingredients.-Use spinach and a variety of lettuces to make your salad. Add dried fruits, nuts, and vegetables like beets, onion, tomato, olives, mushrooms, carrots, celery, cucumber, turnips, and parsnips. You can also add tofu, chicken, or fish to it, which I recommend doing to get more protein. So...Step 1: Change your cardio.Step 2: Put forth REAL effort. Sweating doesn t always mean that you re doing well...some people just sweat a lot.Step 3: Add weight training.Step 4: Understand nutrition. Do this and you ll see results.P.S. Polly had some encouraging words to say, but I bring you reality. Encouraging words are all well and good, but lying to people isn t. You have a bad routine and an even worse diet. Also, muscle is denser than fat, not much heavier. And since you aren t doing weight training and only do longer cardio sessions, you aren t putting on muscle.