Saturday, May 27, 2006

How do I lose weight because I am depressed about being overweight? -

I am depressed about a lot of things and being overweight is one. I am 5 7 190lbs. I don t move much I eat all the time. I don t have energy to even ride a bike. I don t know if this weight gain is making me depressed or if depression is causing the weight gain. Does anyone have any ideas on a weight loss program and what type of exercises should I start with? I don t have any energy. I used to be 16 percent body fat and that was after four kids. Help.

Well, the important thing to do is start. In order to begin you have to start so I recommend getting it on paper so you can see your progress. Weigh yourself and write it down. Next, Make up your mind that there are certain foods (sugary, salty) that you are going to remove from your plan. Next, Don t call it a diet, because these will be new eating habits that you will keep. Start with just 15 minutes a day, walking. To the store, around the block, or on a treadmill, or light exercises for 15 minutes every other day. This is a small step. Make sure you have comfortable shoes when you walk, and drink 6 - 8 glasses of water per day, but you can substitute some of the water with gatoraide. Eat an apple every day. Increase fruit and veggies, as you decrease rice and pasta. Take it slow. It didn t get there over night so don t expect a miracle over nite. So you have a plan to get you started. Now, I would still go to see a Psychiatrist because something sounds like it is going on in the area of stress, anxiety and depression. You Dr. can help you decide if it is depression causing your weight gain. You mentioned not having any motivation. Sounds like depression, but with 4 children that in itself can be a full time job. I wish you great success. Now don t just write it down. Get up and do your 15 mins. I understand what you are going thru and been there before myself. Once I got started, I increased my walk a little at a time, and now I walk 2 miles at a time, 3 x s a week plus cut back on junk food and no fast food except a salad if I am too busy. I have lost about 30 lbs so far this year. I don t need to lose anymore weight since I ve reached my goal, but now I walk because I enjoy it, it s relaxing, and I can have some dessert sometimes and not gain. Good luck. Sometimes, just having someone to talk too about what s going on can relieve some of the stress, that is why I recommend a Dr. I take an antidepressant and one of the side effects is weight gain, so I continue to walk. There are some that don t have that side affect, so make sure if you do get on antidepressants, that you mention to the Dr. that weight gain is a major concern for you so he can put you on one that doesn t have that side effect like welbutrin. okay. bye until next time. :)

You should start with a diet.Eat lean meats (like chicken and salmon), fruits and vegetables, and whole grains (in certain types of bread and pasta).Throw out all the junk food and desserts, and stop getting fast food.Make the kitchen or dining room an eating only place.Gradually add in exercise, when you re at 160 or 170. Try for 30 minutes at first, of cardio, then move up to an hour a day when you think you re ready. Remember to do strength training as well.I think your goal weight should be 130.

I m in the same boat!!! Each day I try to exercise or at least do something...And I also drink lots of water and try to eat more protein and less carbs. It s really strange, some days I go for a bike ride with my son no problem going up hills and stuff. But then every now and then I can t make it and we just take a shorter route.With me, I think my hormones are out of whack and the fact that the kids are home for summer!! You can email me anytime....

www.sparkpeople.com is really helpful. The site helps you get on a plan and even can set you up with people you can talk to and who can help encourage and motivate you who are or have gone through the same thing you are going through.

ok well i ll answer this easily--you can get out and do stuff! you re tired because you don t do anything it isn t the other way around. and yes you can start being active.your body is your slave; it works for you-jack lalanne

One word ... EXERCISE! Start by walking, then riding a bike or swimming. Running wrecks your knees! Become obsessed with exercising and weight loss is virtually guaranteed but you must be persistent and patient!

I m in the same boat. I m 5 4 178 lbs. but i started at 210 (after my first child) and belive me, i know about not having energy too. but i quickly just changed my thoughts... i ran and felt like CRAP but thought that i never wanted to feel that bad after exercising again so i started doing 20 minutes a day of walking (10 walking 10 running) for 5 weeks and lost 20 pounds. I started eating better. i LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat and that wasn t helping so i fill myself up on fruits and veggies and lots and lots of grains. it was really hard at first but starting out sloooow really gets you going. I also joing www.buddyslim.com and its such a great site i ve never gotten so much support from people who are in the same situation. i really hope that you find your motivation. join the site i m telling you!!