Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Is losing 10 pounds a month a reasonable goal? -

I am trying to lose 100 pounds this year. I have problems with my lower back, knees, and ankles because of my weight, so most forms of exercise are pretty difficult for me to sustain. I want to lose 100 this year, and 50 next year. by Christmas of 2008 I want to be at my goal weight. I need suggestions from people who know how to get the job done. A way to build from almost nothing (literally a sedentary lifestyle), to fit and healthy. I am a single mother with 3 5th graders. I work full time, and also have a home based business that I do in the evenings (around the kids schedules). I have used this as an excuse for why I can t stay on any reasonable weight loss program, but I m sick of being fat and I ve run out of excuses for staying that way. Please help.

I can tell from the way you re speaking that you re really committed to achieving your goal. That s really commendable. Your first step should be to focus on your surroundings and use them to your advantage. By that I mean: what is in your cupboards? Are there junk foods in the house that you can be tempted to eat? Throw them out. Replace your rice with brown rice, replace your pasta with whole grain pasta, replace your crackers with whole grain crackers, replace your cereals with low-starch, high-fiber, low-sugar cereals. Basically clean out your fridge and replace everything with fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, skim dairy and watch your portion sizes. Just by diet alone you can achieve great results without lifting a finger - but you can definitely achieve a new level of wellness by introducing some physical activity. Try to find even 40 minutes a day (to start) to just go outside and take a brisk walk. The weather is getting nicer now (if you live in the upper hemisphere) so use that to your advantage when the kids are in school, or on your lunch break at work etc.10 pounds per month is pushing the upper level of what s healthy to lose (usually 8 is more reasonable) but i know you ll be happy with 8 per month every month from here until 2008 so just get started and keep your chin up!

yes, I can do it, so can you!eat only fruit, which does include seeds and nuts (just a few thou)please visit the site I gave you below)start mentally...think about natural foods, after all, nothing is better for you than what nature gave us, such as fruit, vegitables, grains, etc. also think about eating raw foods, think how all other living things eat raw food, while humans eat cooked stuff. if one must cook it to render it edible, one wasn t intended to eat it.watch out for oils, salt, fried foods, junks foods, over eating, long ingrediants list, preservatives, colorings, other additives, and suger.hope I helped

10 pounds a month is asking for trouble.5pounds would be ok.well you can start with a small amount of exercise to begin with do the same for 1 week and then change to another one.when i lost a lot of my weight i exercise and cut out a lot of sweets to.with 3kids that s an exercise in it;s self...instead of sweets eat an apple or grapes or any fruits.....don;t over so it cause it will burn it out and will get old fast....good luck on your diet and don;t punish yourself if you don;t do it everyday......were only human...

1-2 pounds a week is normal. You probably could lose 10 a month if you worked hard at it. But I ve heard the faster you lose it, the easier it is to gain back.

10 pounds a month is very realistic. Im not one to give advice on losing weight because i need to lose about 60 pounds. But i know that you need to drink more water and eat smaller meals more often. Also, start walking when you get the chance. I wish i could get myself motivated enough to actually do these things myself. I have lost the weight once but i gained it back. The main thing is to get motivated and stick with it. Remember if you have a bad day, tomorrow is a new day, start over. Good luck.

yes it might be, but really 5-8 is mroe realistic since it is better to lose at a slower pace cause youll be more likely to keep it off in the long run. i know people who lose 20 in a month and get it back the next. slow and steady wins the race. im doing it slow. down to 220 from 236 in about 3 months and dont feel any difference eating/hunger wise. make small changes. start off by trying to drink 8 cups water a day. another week maybe switch to all diet sodas, another week switch to splenda. that way you wont give up.