Thursday, July 20, 2006

Help! I am obese and NEED to lose the weight. What CAN I do? -

I am 27 and about 70 lbs overweight, Growing up, I was always into extracurricular activities and sports (dance, cheer, soccer...) In college, my Dr. recommended that I stop taking dance classes because I had bad knees, so I did. Over the next few years, I have tried several methods thinking they would help a little or a lot if I had combined some of them. I stopped drinking soda for 4 months, I was an active member at a local gym for THREE years going anywhere from 3-6 days/week (didn t lose weight and I had a PERSONAL TRAINER for a several months too), I had a nutritionist, I tried curves, Slimfast, Hydroxy-cut, Ballerina Green Tea, Michael Thurmond s 6 Week Body Makeover Weight Loss Program, Weight Watchers, I cut out carbs, I was in Jazzercise....nothing seemed to work :( I can understand if I laid on the couch all day and stuffed my face, but that just ISN T the case. I am far from lazy and do not eat as horrible as some people. I have been tested for Thyroid disease, twice and by two different Dr. s...it s not that either.I have ALWAYS been a determined individual with anything, including weight loss, but I have just given up hope, and given up on myself. People say I am attractive, but what they really mean is, just my face. I always hide my body from even my own husband, we don t even shower together.. I want to, but I feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE. He s so adorable and has a sexy body, but I just feel so ugly sometimes.Sorry if this is so dragged out, Please, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.Ps. I realize it s not magic and will not happen overnight. I just want to be healthy, happy and live a long life.HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

The best and most effective way to lose weight is to simply eat good foods and count your calories. You can have a piece of cake sometimes, but you must consider how many calories it is and sacrifice elsewhere. You can eat what you want just don t eat more than you allot yourself in a day (I would recommend starting off with 1200 calories a day) Diets don t work. Once you re off the diet, the weight comes back. Counting calories does work because you re not on a diet and you still can have a cookie or whatever, you just do the math. The other thing that will help you ward off hunger is to drink a big glass of water before each meal. You really should be drinking water all day long, but add an extra glass before meals or when you re hungry. If you do this, you WILL lose weight and you will be successful at keeping it off. I can tell that this is important to you, so I m confident that you ll do it : )

Hi there,Having nothing to go on other than what you have written, I think it would be worth getting your doc to do a full physical, and include the bloods for your hormones and for insulin levels.Second, a nutritionist can be anyone whereas a registered dietitian can give you advice based on sound scientific evidence - and may be because you have tried so many different routes you have got into habits that are not helping, which some sound advice could sort.Thirdly, your hub loves you because of you - and you need to accept that and like yourself regardless of your size to have the best chance of succeeding in weight loss. Most obese people who have self loathing punish themselves with food...