Saturday, July 15, 2006

Question about my calorie intake and fat loss? Help? -

First of all, I m 16, 5 4 and (at this exact moment) 108.2 lbs. I like my weight, and my B W H numbers are 32 - 25 - 34, with a Waist-Hip ratio of .74, which I am pretty happy about. My real problems are the fact that despite how little I weigh, my body actually has a lot of fat on it, and I feel like a lot of my recent weight loss (I used to be 125 lbs a few months ago) may have been muscle mass and fat. The widest part of my thighs measures at 21 , and I really wish they were around the 18 area instead because they jiggle a lot and it makes me self conscious. To lose fat, I do push ups/squats/crunches/dance almost every day, and I plan to cut my calorie intake by about 500 calories to equal 1 or so lbs lost per week.The problem is, since my weight is so low right now, my BMR is pretty low, and says I only need to eat about 1000-1200 calories a day. Using the advice on healthy weight loss I ve learned from a ton of fitness websites, I should cut my calorie intake by 500, but this would only mean 500-700 calories a day. Although I envy those stick thin, anorexic models, I would really like to keep my metabolism high. (And when I get high and have massive munchies, I d rather not gain 3 lbs like I did a few weeks ago)What should I do about my fat loss goal? I would like to run more for cardio, except I have poor bone structure in my legs and tight achilles tendons that always exempted me from running in gym class, and I really don t want to hurt my ligaments and joints more than I already have...

It s not about your size or weight, but your body composition. If you had 18 inch thighs, they d probably just be skinny with no muscle. I m 5ft2 with 22 inch upper thighs and they jiggle a little but they are also VERY muscular.So first of all start eating more. Your BMR is only the number of calories you d burn in a day if you did absolutely nothing. You also burn calories whilst doing daily activities and exercise. Most females need about 2000 calories just to maintain their weight. To lose fat don t eat less than 500 calories less than you are burning and NEVER eat less calories than your BMR or you will most definitely start burning muscle instead of fat.You need to do strength training and weight lifting to build muscle. High intensity invterval training works great for fat loss and maintaining muscle. I think the key for you is maintaining your current weight and size but get more fit and lean.It would be a very good idea to get a measure of your body composition.Body Fat Chart Females:Underfat: 12%Athletic: 14%-18%Optimal: 20%-24%Average: 26%-28%Overfat: 30%-32%Obese: 34%Hope this helps.