Sunday, September 10, 2006

Is loosing weight all in your head? -

Do we really need these weight loss programs or diet books. Since I gave birth 19 months ago I have been eating unhealthy, Carbs, Carbs, and more Carbs. Until recently it started affecting my health (getting pregnant again, pre-diabetes) and of course weight gain. However, for about 1 week now, I have had minimum Carbs (only in whole wheat), just been eating healthy and exercising almost everyday. It has been several months of having medical tests done but I found out the irregular results last week.The doctor had to tell me that I have to loose weight or i will be taking Medication for the rest of my life. And that is what brought on this change. My friend offered me chocolate yesterday and I refused and watched her eat it. I have tired diet pills weight watchers, shakes everything in the past, but I never felt as motivated as I do now. I think we don t need any of these programs, I think it s all in our head. What do you think?

I agree with you -- sort of. Personal motivation is the one thing that will keep a person living a healthy lifestyle (and lack of personal motivation will doom anyone s efforts to lose weight or get in shape), but there s a lot of misinformation out there about what food is good for you and what isn t. For example, many people believe eggs are bad for you because they re high in cholesterol. Not true. Eggs are high in protein and monounsaturated fat, which actually helps to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. There s a mountain of scientific research to back this up, but people are still scared to eat eggs, or just egg yolks, because they think their cholesterol levels are going to go through the roof. So it s not only important to have your mental state in order, you also need to have your facts straight. Once you know which types of diets are bad (low-carb and low-fat being among them) and what type of diets are good (balanced diets high in protein, fiber, mono-and-polyunsaturated fat, and vitamins and minerals from real food sources) you can make permanent changes in your eating habits -- and your exercise habits -- that will allow you to stay in the best health and within 10 pounds of your ideal weight for life.

I agree with you. When I ve tried to diet by taking pills or eating special diet foods it never worked. I finally just had to get in the right state of mind and say I m not on a diet but I m going to make healthy choices and it worked.