Thursday, March 15, 2007

Does anyone have weight loss tips for a pug? -

My little pug is 4 years old and she is obese. She weighs about 12 kilos, and we were told that if she keeps going on like this, she will prematurely die of a heart attack.I ve just started her on a steamed rice and lean meat diet, but the truth is, I m not sure what to do and I m just taking wild stabs in the dark.If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.Thanks :)

My pug is positivly thin...healthy as can be. First, no dog needs to eat rice or any type of grain. Dogs are carnevors. Since you re willing to prepare your dog s food, rather than feed kibble, you might want to try raw feeding (Google Prey Model Diet, or check Yahoo group Raw Feeding or Raw Chat). Basically, a dog needs 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat. The bone can t be hard, weight bearing bones like soup bones, cow leg...but my pug eats small, whole chickens, pork ribs, turkey necks, legs and other parts...all with ease, bone and all. It will cost (in most parts of the US) less than 75 cents per day to feed your dog the diet it was meant to eat...raw meat....and a lot of free meat can be gotten off of Craig s List or Freecycle, since you can ask for freezer burned or old meat...it doesn t hurt dogs at all. In fact, I defrost a turkey I buy on sale, WAY more meat than my two dogs can eat in a week, section it, refreeze what I can t use in a few days, and I don t worry at all about it getting a little funky. What would make a human sick, doesn t hurt a dog at all. Salmanella? No problem for a dog. Raw eggs, canned mackeral, tuna, salmon...lots of choices. Your pug will take SO long eating his daily ration of meat and bones, that he ll naturally become thinner. It takes my pug (he s very large for a pug, but thin) 30 minutes to eat a raw turkey drumstick, bone and all. It helps keep their muscles toned, and you ll never need to take your dog in for dental problems. Raw feeding also decreases the likelyhood of many common diseases. I believe raw to be the greatest thing I ve ever done for my dogs. My pug is 14 years old, yet he looks and acts like a 6 year old. Truly, my new vet didn t believe me when I told him my pug s age. Many vets don t agree with raw feeding, though, but that s because it s the pet food companies that educate them on the subject of nutrition, and every vet practice makes a considerable percentage of their profit from the sale of dog food. If switching to raw is too much for you, then, like it is with people, the ONLY way to properly loose weight is to eat less, move more. Walk your dog often and decrease the amount you feed.

i have the same problem with my pug lou dog .allot of treats such as snusages, beggen strips and allot of the Other soft treats are SUPER high in fat.......................so don t give him those ever...we found out that our lou dog loves the little baby carrots so now insted of getting dog treats he gets a carrot and is as happy as a pug in a blanket also don t give him table scraps................my pug lost allot of weight doing these two small steps, but hes a pug and is always gonna be a little beefy

basically do what a human would do to lose weight. healthy lifestyle.exercise healthy food.usually treats is what messes up progress.stick with the lowfat meals.go for LOTS of walks.take the dog to the dog park or an enclosed park let him run like crazy or play fetch for as long as he wants. my dog is super hyper and this helps tire him out and he doesn t tear up my house.play fetch and other games in the house...tag, wrestle, hide seek etc. instead of store bought treats use fruits and veggies. they work just as well once you figure out what your dog likes. my dog loves apples and carrots and lettuce. also if you have trouble getting him to run or be active try a laser pointer. they sell them at wallgreens and most dogs chase them around like maniacs. great exercise!

If your not sure about the homemade diet stop. seriously it can be confusing by beginners and you should Monitor their blood work every few months. any how buy a good Quality diet food and read the label on the back. It will tell you how much to give. it may seem a tiny amount but it is measured and tested. No treats. They don t need it.Lots of exercise.

Fat is not fit. As with people, overweight dogs are more prone to health problems, such as diabetes, heart disease, and painful joints. How can you tell if your dog s overweight?Just look at him. He should have the hourglass figure of a swimsuit model. When you look down at him, you should see a waist, not a block of dog. Put your hands on him. You should be able to feel the ribs easily beneath a layer of muscle and fat. No ribs? He s too fat. To know what kind of food, how much and when to feed your dog, visit this link http://dogtime.com/feeding-overweight-do��

Lots of walking, and feed a low fat dog food with can green beans. Look on the label on the dog food and see what the dog should weigh and use that as your guideline to feed. Take half the dog food and mix it with the green beans and the dog will feel full and lose weight.

hey i babysit my neighbors overweight pug and they have meds from their vet and u can try iam low fat treats thats what i gave her and i guess after a box she had more energy ( thats what my neighbors said)

How about exercise, walking the dog is not only good for the pooch, but also good for the master.

Feed her lessexcercise her more.Thats as simple as it gets.