Friday, July 13, 2007

Questions about healthy living? -

I am trying to lose wieght and know that crash dieting isn t for me nor does it actually work. I am 160 and 5 5, female. My ideal wieght is 130. I have been watching my calorie intake and am slowly adding in an exercise regimine, but I want to know if there is anything else I can do? I keep reading all types of online weight loss tips and books, but they all seem to have conflicting suggestions. I am also taking Hoodia, which does help me not feel hungry all the time (and I am taking the minium dosage) Can someone suggest to me certain exercises I can do at home or in the car( I do lot of driving)? Is there foods, other than celery, that has no fat and very little calories that I can eat? ( I hate celery) Should I detox? I have lowered my calorie intake to 1500 or less, but should I go lower? I would really appreciate some guidance.

Sounds like you have the basic building blocks of a healthy diet. Congratulations! Many people never get that far.I started a program last year, and I have been in maintenance mode for 8 months so far. You are doing the right thing by starting slowly. You might want to tweak what you are eating to make sure that you are getting all the nutrition you are supposed to get. Are you getting 5-8 servings of fruit and vegetables a day? Are you getting 25g of fiber a day (that REALLY helps with feeling full)? Detox doesn t sound necessary, and if you are eating enough fiber and drinking 8 glasses of water a day - that will... er... get you regular and take out anything that s been sticking around too long. Water will also help you feel full.If you are reading weightloss books, start taking notes. If you read something that really makes sense to you, write it down on a notecard. Then, stop obsessing over it. It sounds like your current calorie intake is fine if you are consistently exercising. If you go too low, you are in danger of hitting starvation mode.For food, I love broccoli - I keep the frozen stuff with low-fat cheese sauce in my freezer for snacking. I have no-sugar added applesauce cups at work (50 calories a serving), along with mini whole wheat bagels (120 calories and high in fiber). A turkey sandwich on Low-cal, High fiber bread is 130 calories. The fruit bowl in the house is always stocked, and I just can t seem to buy enough bananas. As for exercise, I have a jogging trampoline in front of the TV - it s not the same as going for a run, but it still gets me moving instead of lying on the couch.Good luck!

You need calories. Eat six meals a day (small ones). Breakstone s Cottage Cheese Doubles are a great example of what I mean by meal . They are about 150 calories (maybe less). Peanut butter and apples with a glass of skim milk is a great one too. Eat things that are not too filling, and try not to go more than 3 hours at a time without eating. Half a bagel is one serving (it s great with fruit spread- especially sour cherry). Try lowfat yogurt with a banana too. For main meals, low fat canned soups are good (just watch the sodium), and Boca lasagna isn t half bad either.Exercise suggestion: Walk! Walk a lot. Eventually, you may be inspired to run, you never know. Denise Austin s Fat Blasting Yoga is my favorite. I do it three times a week and I run 5 miles three times a week. Good luck!

sounds like you basically know what you are doing. it s great you realize the way to lose weight is not by crash dieting. the healthy way will allow you to get it off and keep it off! don t drive yourself crazy reading all the stuff online about weight loss. it s basically calories in versus calories burned. that s it. you can eat normal foods. i suggest wegiht watchers. it s a very easy way to keep track of what you eat and they have wonderful recipes! as for low calorie snacks..i don t blame you. celery is gross!it s okay to have a few calories and some fat. i like:low fat string cheeseany fruita few nuts (high in fat..but the good kind)fat free yogurtpiece of lunch meatbrocolli and hummuscarrotsjust keep up the eating healthy! you prob need around 1200 calories a day. keep adding to your cardio and you will lose weight in no time!good luck