Monday, July 21, 2008

Any tips on how to lose weight gained from medication? -

I was on some medication that caused me to gain about 40 lbs in the past year. I changed my diet and stopped eating white breads and pastas and cut out all trans fat from my diet and i work out 3 days a week. I can t seem to drop any weight. I just got off the meds. Is there anything I can do to jump start the weight loss? I m only 24 and everyone tells me it shouldn t be hard. What am I doing wrong?

It would have helped to know what the medication was, but since you are not taking it any longer, you should drop the pounds slowly. It maytake you about as long as the time you were on the meds to lose the added weight.Take heart, you should lose it. There is no jump start for this. Sorry. Just keep doing what you are doing. Only weigh yourself once weekly, naked, in the AM to keep track of your weight. Body weight fluctuates from day to day and from morning to night. That is why it should be same time with same clothes (or lack of).You re not doing anything wrong, but you can count on a year to lost the added weight. That is the length of time you were on the med.Please be patient, it will be worth it. Work hard and eat right. You are young.....it will come off quickly. Look at it this way: 40 pounds in 12 months = 3.3#/month. That s less than a pound a week! Surely with you doing what you are doing, it won t take that year to reduce. You ought to be able to average at least 1#/week safely.By the way, cutting the trans fats from your diet is good for your heart. But you need to cut nearly all fats from your diet to lose weight. At your age you could keep eating normally except NO FATS (oils, fried foods of all kinds except those fried with cooking spray, no margarines, no pizzas, chips and snack foods that have more than 15% of their total calories being fat calories, no fast food.....loaded with fats. Fat turns to nothing but fat.....don t need it!!Good luck and God bless. Next Xmas you ll be smashing for the holidays!!!!! Not only that, but keep going hard,and by summer you may be back to normal!I am an RN