Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Weight loss tips? -

I am 14 and 200 lbs. I know I am in despreate need of some weight loss, but diets just seem so hard to stick to with school. I have so much homework and other things for the clubs I m in and I have almost no time to exercise. Any good ideas? And please don t just say something mean... I m self-conscious enough as it is!

Sweetie, I feel your pain. I am old enough to be your mom now but I was a heavy child growing up. My mother I joined Weight Watchers the summer before I started 9th grade and I lost all my weight. After the weight came off I was so active all throughout school with roller skating (yes, I know I m dating myself here), dancing, walking the mall, etc. that I didn t focus on food and I easily kept the weight off. I focused on fun and sharing good times with my friends. After school when I went to work sitting at a desk full-time I wasn t as active slowly started gaining again. It has been a lifetime struggle for me so I know a few tips to help you. First of all, most schools now offer healthy choices in the lunch line. If they don t, bring something from home. A simple sandwich - turkey, light mayo, a little mustard, lettuce, tomato, low-fat cheese on wheat bread and a piece of fruit is simple, fast and very filling. When you get home you can have Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, or Weight Watcher meals for dinner. They are really good easy to make. If you are like I was and hurrying out the door in the mornings to make it to school on time (I hardly ever did but that was back in the big hair days) just grab a slim-fast bar or shake. I know this sounds hard but if you make your mind up to do it you will do it. Weight loss is 90% mental and 10% physical. Just make one small change. Start very small. When you make the change it will encourage you to keep going. When you start feeling good about yourself you ll probably find time to start walking because you ll have more energy. I know you can find 10 minutes. I have 3 kids and I can do 10 minutes! Build from there. Try to see it as a change of lifestyle rather than a diet. A diet is something you go on or get off of. A lifestyle is a choice. It s a change. Make that change NOW! You have your whole high school years to look forward to. Don t dread them. Enjoy them. It s all up to you! God bless you give you strength on your journey sweetie!

Get into an after school activity, or ask your parents to get a basketball hoop. Substitute sports or activities for sitting on the couch really helps.