Saturday, September 13, 2008

Can Doctors really tell someone how to lose weight? -

Because I am thinking that asking the Doctor for help. I am tired of being fat. And don t know what to do.

Any doctor is going to tell you that proper diet and exercise is the best way. Trust me, it can take time at a pound or two per week, but it is well worth it and you really do see the results faster than you would think. I was overweight for about 15 years. I felt hopeless. I joined Weight Watchers where I found great support, found I wasn t alone in my struggle and learned valuable information about nutrition and exercise. Just 1 and 1/2 years later I m down nearly 90 pounds and loving it. I ve gone from a 20 to a size 6. If I can do it, I know you can. Just believe in yourself.

Doctors are not good at helping people lose weight because it is not their expertise. It s important to learn what to eat and what NOT to eat, but it is also important to understand the process of losing weight. These LOW fat diets that restrict salt, and promote the use of vegetable oils and high carbs of fruits and vegetables with improper ratios are everywhere and easy to find. They are starvation diets and only promote weight loss for ever scenarios. Most of the weight loss programs and companies like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers are in the business of losing weight, not health. So what happens is that you become dependent upon those starvation diets and never seem to be able to live your life without being on some diet. That is not quality living.It s important that your body is healthy in the process. I suggest you go to a Certified Nutritional Therapist that can test you and determine what nutrients you are deficient in and to recommend a quality diet that will help you reach your goals and then be able to learn to manage your weight as you want. A very good book on this subject is, Life Without Bread by Christian Allan, Ph.D.good luck to you

Yeah, but it s your responsibility to stick to what the doctor tells you to do. That means no excuses and no whining.

A doctor who is willing to do a caloric intake chart for you would be great. But good luck finding one. You will probably have much better luck finding a nutritionist or dietician.