Sunday, January 18, 2009

Can someone give me tips on how to lose weight? -

I m a 24 year old college student/ nanny. You can guess that my job is pretty sedentary- minus picking up kids, doing laundry, picking up after the kids etc. I try to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week to do Zumba / Hip hop classes and Spinning Classes. I m a vegetarian, eating about 1500 calories a day and I admit that sometimes its not the healthiest of food, but I rarely go over the 1500 limit. I m not asking to be skinny. I just want to be at a healthy weight. Right now I am 5 9 and weight about 215 pounds. Ideally I would like to be 180-185 pounds. Which would put me into a size 10. Any suggestions other than what I am already doing?

Wow! It really sounds like you should be losing weight. Firstly, I do think that you should think about getting the blood test for hypothyroidism - it s not too scary, even if you come back positive. It s a really cheap ($15/mo), tiny pill once a day to treat. I m 25, and I gained a lot of weight my last couple years in college, so I know where you re coming from. I started biking everywhere my last year of college, and that really helped my take off a lot of weight. Now I ve sort of settled into working at home and don t work out nearly as much, so what I use to stay at a good weight (and lose some if my weight s crept up a little) is Eat Stop Eat - it s short-term fasting (24 hours) once or twice a week. Really easy to do if you pick a day that s always busy, and really effective with not much else necessary - although anything you do helps. http://activelyloseweight.com/recommends/EatStopEat . If you want to look at my review of it that has more details and how it works for me, it s here: http://activelyloseweight.com/eat-stop-eat-review . Otherwise:Based on your description, weight lifting is seriously missing from your schedule. Since you re already going to a gym, and seem to like classes, see if there s a circuit-training type class. Intense exercise that builds muscle and works as cardio too, and muscles burn more calories then non-muscle tissue. Learn to fidget more. It sounds kind of dumb, but just standing up and pacing or dancing in place whenever you re reading or studying can help you burn a lot of calories - try to sit as little as possible. If you re sure you re staying at 1500 calories (which sounds healthy) per day, and have been for a long time, you might want to try shocking your body - high calorie days followed by low calories do a good job of confusing your body. 2000 calorie followed by 1000 calories, etc. Fasting will do the same thing for you.Hope that helps - best of luck to you!

I used to have the fattest stomach, until I decided to make a time frame and work at it. Coincidentally, right out of college, which sounds like you re nearing. Here s a good site I found that really helped me build the muscle it sounds like you re wanting. It gave me great workouts and diet tips and showed me what I was doing wrong before...http://www.getsupersleekabs.comGood luck to you!

you will make just hold on and maybe switch up you work out a bit, it might help to through your body off a bit.

I suggest starting with your doctor. Someone with your stats has a daily caloric need of about 2400 calories (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie�� and if you really are eating only 1500 calories, then you may have a thyroid or other condition which is leading you to be overweight. At 1500 calories, you would be losing 1-2lbs per week without any additional exercise. The other thing I would suggest - and I hope you don t take offence to it - is to really count you calories very carefully. Half of those who estimate on portion sizes - even when they are trying to be very conscious about serving sizes - over estimate by over 30%. On a 1500 calorie diet, that can add up to an additional 450 or more calories that you don t realize you re eating. So for a week or two, write down everything you eat and measure out the portion sizes with measuring cups/spoons. If you re eating fast food, most of their nutritional information is available on line. In doing this, you may uncover some surprises that you ll want to correct. If nothing else, it s actually good information to take with you to the doctor because doctors also know that most people are consuming more calories than they think they are and they too will be sceptical that you may be one of those people.

Thank you for saying that your 5 9 and would like to be 180. I ve seen so many women at that height saying they are 180 now and want to lose weight.I noticed you do cardio exercises but not much weight training. Try throwing some weight training into your schedule. This site - http://getfit-4-life.com - talks about how you only need a minimum of weight training to receive excellent results. It s about doing it the right way and getting the results you want. Also a lot of people think about being healthy as being skinny and barely there . But healthy is feeding your body healthy food and giving it the exercise it requires. It sounds like you are pretty conscious of that already. Hope this helps