Saturday, March 11, 2006

Is this a good (healthy) weight-loss eating plan? -

I m 19 and I m looking to lose about 30 lbs all together. I know about the fad diets and such and that is NOT what I want...that s why I m asking for some advice. I am going to be exercising, starting out cardio 3 or 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes, and when I ve lost the weight, I ll begin weight training to get better toned. Although I m focusing on calorie intake, I ve all together cut out sodas, sweets, and obvious things like that. Anyways, here s the eating plan I ve been following, and it will change from day to day, but same amounts, close to the same amount of cals and such. Breakfast: 1/2 cup Instant Oatmeal - uncooked - 150 cals 2 Tbsp Smucker s Organic Strawberry Preservers (for flavor) - 100 calsOR 1 container Dannon lite and fit vanilla yogurt - 60 cals 1 banana - 110 cals *1 or 2 bottles water (20 fl. oz) - between breakfast and lunch Lunch 1 medium sweet potato - up to 150 cals (?) 1 Jennie-O turkey hot dog - 70 cals *1 or 2 bottles water (20 oz) between lunch and dinner Dinner 1 chicken breast (4-5oz) - up to 140 cals 3/4 cup (maybe more) green beans - 30 cals 1 bottle water (20 oz) NOW, I realize this is only around 650 calories at the most for the day, BUT, not every day will be like this. I m at college, and I go to the cafeteria sometimes. So, at least one meal a day will have, probably much, more than 200 calories. Also, I ve heard about the 5-6 meals a day thing to keep your metabolism going. First off, is this right? It makes sense. I ve been going with it, and having, usually fruit, or like those 100 calorie pack foods for a snack. So probably two snacks a day at 100-200 calories. I think that said, it will amount to at least 1200 calories a day. I would appreaciate ANY advice on this. I ve talked to a couple people who are pretty knowledgeable, but put this together on my own. I know with a good diet and exercise, the weight will come off. Maybe slowly, but surely Thanks!*Crystal Light? I know the artificial sweeteners...10 cals per packet, but is it alright for a diet? I get tired of water so easily..I can make myself drink it, but with crystal light is MUCH better! At the most, I d use it on two bottles of water a day.Thanks again!

650 calories is going to put your body into starvation mode and save more FAT out of the food. That is NOT what you want!I m guessing you re female, so you should eat AT LEAST 1300 calories. Calculate your BMR, it tells you how many calories you burn by laying in bed. I suggest not eating more than that amount of calories.And other than the lack of calories(ENERGY, you need it!) I only saw a few things wrong. The strawberry preserves. I mean, it is fruit and all, but it has a loooot of added sugar. If you need flavor for your oats, use spices! A little bit of sugar is okay, then add some cinnamon. I also got this very yummy imitation maple flavor (found by the vanilla in the spice isle) it will save you a lot of calories. Where is your milk? Milk, grain, fruit and veg is VERY important in a diet. Add more!Heres what I suggest:An apple, orange, or banana with breakfast. That will add 80-100 calories. It will also speed up your metabolism.Add 2-3 glasses of skim milk. Thats around 220 calories. Eat a whole wheat bun with your turkey dog! Load it up on the mustard, relish, onion and any other veg you like on your meats. It will help you feel fuller and you need the grain. Thats about 120 calories. Fill the rest of the 200-400 more calories with more fruits and vegetables and healthy whole grains throughout the day. Vegetables are great when losing weight, do not cut them out of your diet!Oh and by the way the second breakfast would be great for you if you added some oats along with it. Or, even add some whole grain cereal with skim milk. That will get more milk into your diet. Good luck!EDIT: 1300 is the minimum for women, 1200 for men, 1400 if you re still growing.

you SHOULD be having 1500 cals a day in six small meals or your metabolism slows and you hold on to fat rather than lose it