Monday, March 20, 2006

Is this healthy weight loss? -

So I changed my diet and exercise!I only eat 1000 calories a dayI only drink water (and tea in the morning)and I run for an hour everyday plus I do half hour of step aerobics 3 days a weekI have been losing 3 pounds per week and my mom said this is very fast and bad for my body?!is that true?!( I m only 15 )

The more slowly we move during an aerobic workout, the deeper the benefits. We are a society in a hurry, and many people who attend fitness classes and/or work out on their own translate this hurry-up mentality to their workouts. Yes, I used to love the high impact aerobics. I jumped all over the place to a fast and exciting beat. When my knees started bothering me, I investigated other alternatives. That is when I discovered the beauty of step aerobics. I could get my heart rate up while saving my joints. When we first started step classes, the music played at 122-125 BPM (Beats Per Minute). Today, there are classes where the step music is playing at 135-140 BPM with the participants feeling that they are getting a better workout because they are moving and jumping so fast. Wrong! It actually takes more work to move slowly than using the help received by the bounding. I didn t believe it either until I noticed the change for the better in my body, along with regaining healthy, pain-free knees. When we are jumping, we are propelled by the jump, so we don t have to work as hard to lift ourselves up and down. When we are jumping fast we can t pay attention to the proper form, so we lose out on that score also. It is the same with walking versus jogging. Walking with purpose -swinging those arms and lifting those feet and legs - is as beneficial, if not more, than running and/or jogging. Hope this Help,Josh

Maybe u can answer the question for yourself. If you only eat 1,000 calories a day, have barely any thing in the morning with vitamins, minerals or even carbs, fat or protein --- do you seem to be out of energy faster than most if not all of your class mates. Look up the word BMI in a serch engine. (Body mass index) www.google.com and find out what yours is for height and weight. Most people should be a little above the normal/healthy range to get the energy and nutrients they need for the day. check it out :)

You are still growing, up your calorie intake to 14 - 1500. If you lose to fast, you will gain it back even faster. DO NOT STARVE YOUR SELF. Your body will go into starvation mode and shut down losing the weight. It will keep every calorie you eat just to survive. Running for one hr every day, should be changed to every other day. and do the step aerobics on off days of running. Right now you are draining it of its fuel and you are not letting it restore its fuel to stay healthy.

You should be eating at least a 1,000 more calories per day, but be careful what kind of calories they are. Sugary treats are empty calories. With that much exercise, you need complex carbohydrates to keep your energy and basically your body fuel levels up. If you can run for an hour every day, seven days a week and do step aerobics three days a week, you are probably quite fit and do not really need to lose weight. If you do not believe your mother who has no reason to make such a thing up, ask your doctor. Ask the straight questions as well, like, Am I losing too much weight? or more directly, Am I too skinny?

I don t think 1000 cal per day is enough. You need 1500 to 1800 cal per day just for basic metabolic functions (heartbeat, respiration, etc). Because of the amount of exercise your getting plus the fact that you are still growing, you probably need at least 1800 to 2000 cal per day.You can still maintain your weight, as long as you eat the right foods Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Losing weight, depending on your height and weight, may not be healthy for you right now, because of the fact that you ARE growing. If you are currently height-weight proportionate with a good body mass index (BMI), you should not work on losing weight. Rather, you should concentrate on starting a healthy habits lifestyle.