Thursday, March 16, 2006

When people are diagnosed with Type II diabetes...? -

Why is the first reaction of the doctor to put the patient on medication, rather than put them on a weight loss program? Type II diabetes can be reversed with weight loss and proper diet.

I am one of the over weight Type 2 s. I found out in March I was diabetic. Now I was put on meds, and I am still on 2 meds (off insulin), and I was not given a weight loss program BEFORE I was allowed to leave the hospital, but I did have to see a dietitian. The dietitian was very informative and gave me lots of info about diet and carbs. But weight loss was not stressed, EATING proper and eating the right foods to control the blood sugar is what was stressed. And if you are over-weight just changing your eating habits will help you lose weight. So some places do make sure the patient is very aware of diet/food requirements even if they are not over weight. I think every diabetic knows how to count carbs, and good vs. bad foods, and how to eat properly to control their blood sugars.Now if I understand everything I have been learning recently, you can NOT reverse diabetes, only control it.As far as docs putting people on meds as soon as a first reaction. Most of the time there isn t a different choice. Most people don t know that they are diabetic before being tested, and their blood sugars are dangerously high. My blood sugar when I found out I was diabetic was 1400 and my A1C was 13. To save my life they had to put me on meds and insulin immediately. Since I took the being diabetic serious and have been doing everything I am suppose to be doing, I have come off the insulin and am only still taking one medication now. So docs don t leave you on meds if you can control it by eating right.Most people probably associate diabetes with being over-weight due to MOST of our (over-weight people) very poor eating habits and lack of exercise. Now understand that this is NOT the case for ALL over-weight people, just most of us. Some people are really and truly over-weight without it being their fault and there is nothing a person like that can do about it. It s people like myself, that can do something about our weight and elected NOT to, that are at fault for our health problems, whatever they may be, but you can NOT put everyone into that category.

Excuse me!! type 2 diabetes is only associated with overweight the same as Europeans are associated with blue eyes!Medications prevent a lot of the nastier effects of this disease!In my case I was never overweight except in the last months of pregnancy ever!! I weighed 120 and was losing weight very rapidly, couldn t afford to lose any in the first place, when I was diagnosed!! More weight loss wouldn t have helped. I have always eaten correctly.You do YOUR research and learn from your ***-umptionsType 2 diabetes CANNOT always be reversed with weight loss and proper diet.

Same goes for type 1 diabetes. Mine was a result of Agent Orange (dioxin) exposure in Viet Nam. Be careful with those stereotypes! They re hurtful.After reading your extra note it seems like you are dogmatic though.

Diabetes is more common with weight problems, but doesn t mean there is always weight problems. You need to do some research on it.

Ehhh?Because not all people with type 2 diabetes are overweight.So why be put on a weight loss program.