Friday, June 16, 2006

Im a shopoholic (seriously), how can this be treated? -

I am literally a shopoholic (I m on a weight-loss program and psychologically I think I have substituted shopping for food!). What are some ways I can discipline myself to get my shopping/spending under control?

you may have an underlying psychological disorder. shopping a lot is often a sign of OCD or depression, especially when considering overeating in your past. you should seek professoinal help immediately, a therapist can give you help specialized for you, and treat underlying problems.get rid of your credit cards, stay busy so you don t have time to shop, find something even more fun to do, allow yourself to go shopping sometimes, but no more than once a week, and limit the amount you ll spend (carry only that amount with you, plus enough for gas, emergencies, etc., but don t use that for other purchases), go shopping only if you need something, buy only that

If you truly believe you are replacing one problem with another you need to seek counseling. I have knowm a few shopaholics, and they bought so much stuff and none of it needed, their credit card debt went to the roof, and they almost lost their home. This is like any addiction, food, gambling, work, shopping. They all need to be addressed. Get some counseling for starters, find out what emotional void you are trying to fill. Best of luck to you

Grt help from your doctor its a real problem

leave your credit cards at home, that way when you see something you have to think about it, and you can t whip out the card and charge it immediately

Don t go shopping. Take one day at a time. Think of the weight loss as a goal to reach and don t shop until you reach your goal. Didn t see Oprah s show about this, check out site below.

Give a trusted family member ALL credit and debit cards .. Keep no cash ... And if you need something You have to ask for it .Good luck

cut up your credit cards and send all your cash to me.

dont go shopping 24/7 like it sounds like you do

seek help at your local mental health clinic...you suffer from ocd [obssessive-compulsive disorder]...I know...I have it to....you need to be on meds ....else you ll degress to bankruptcy...take it from someone who s been there...done that...good luck sweetie

Get a lower limit put on your credit cards before you have way too much debit.

If you live in US, go to this site, they have lots of useful information and also you can email to ask them where you can get to one of their counsellors.http://www.troubledwith.com/Perhaps you can try some sports and develop a hobbie, to switch your attendtion on other things, not just only on shopping, etc.

see, my problem is i spend my parents money too much, but when i have my own money i watch what i spend. i usually never buy things i dont need with my own money, but with my parents money the ve bought me all kinds of things i want, but i dont need them. thats my problem, is wanting things and buying them -- if you still live at homei hope i helped

Well believe it or not self-help groups for it exist. Look them up at your local YMCA. My brother just went through one recently and hes better...

keep shopin coz i m the 1 too and im still alive and v happy :-)

SAVE $ BECOME A SHOPLIFTER INSTEAD.. ARE YOU LUCKY TO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BE FAT AND BUY OUT THE MALL. dO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SOUND LIKE? GIVE TO A CHARITY

i used to be a shopoholic and i have money to do that but i used to spend it all on clothes, purses, and shoes, the credit cards my parents gave me along with a lot of cash i froze so i couldn t use them

freeze your account. really put your cards in a cup of water and then the freezer. it wont ruin them if you have to have to use them.

try to live in a ghetto for 3 weeks