Monday, August 28, 2006

Am I l losing weight too quickly? -

Hi - So, I ve recently started exercising/dieting more and am finally losing weight. My stats are 5 8, 265lbs, 23, female. I exercise 5-6 times a week, weight lifting 3x/week, and cardio for 30-40mins at least 5 times a week. My calorie intake is right around 2000 calories/day. I weighed myself today after not weighing myself since the 20th, and I ve lost 5 pounds. I suspect most of this is water weight, though I d rather lose fat than water, obviously. Is this a healthy weight loss, 5 pounds in a week? Is there something I can do to make sure I retain the same amount of water but lose fat instead of water - even if I only lose a pound or two a week?

Some of the people on The Biggest Loser lose over 10 pounds a week.

You can never lose weight too quickly.

No, not if that initial weight is water weight. All over the media there are examples in ads and whatnot of people losing 60 pounds in six weeks or whatever ridiculously low time frame they tell. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is good, its a healthy weight loss. I say your program right now is pretty good. Bring a water bottle with you when you do your cardio and workout. If your cardio is intense, you want to drink plenty. If you are thirsty, drink. You should be proud of yourself for committing to a diet and exercise plan that is healthy, and not falling for the money making schemes that all these companies try to make to sell their fad diets that dont work in the long term. I am so sick of seeing questions from people who see these ridiculous ads showing massive weight loss in a few weeks, asking if they can lose 10 pounds in two weeks from just eating beans and drinking water, or whatever their unhealthy plan is. Remember, the dietary change has to stay there.

It s not bad.Most people lose a lot of weight their first few weeks and itgets harder and harder especially when you are at a plateau.Don t worry about it. You are eating enough and exercising very well.:]