Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How accurate are the calorie counters on treadmills? -

Well, I have always believed what my treadmill said, but I saw on a website that using a treadmill at the speed I do burns only about have of what the treadmill says it does (Of course the website was trying to show how much better their product was than other exercise equipment). Who should I believe? Also, I am trying to lose weight, so any other weight loss tips you have would be great.

i actually just read an article about this and they are not very accurate at all. it depends on room temp and humidity, your resting heart rate, and working out heart rate, and well as your level of fitness, and multiple other things. my best weight loss tip is to eat 6 times a day. 3 SMALL meals and 3 snacks. if you constantly have calories to burn, your body doesnt go into survival mode and store the fat. portion control and healthy choices are key though.

seems like theyd be as acurate as the info you type in

not real accurate, try eating something when your on there,it just messes up all the calculations,should have a food entry too

if u are worried about that! Just go on Jenny Craig, honey!

I would say not very accurate

well your treadmill would have to know your weight... height... and body fat percentage to acurately do this... now wouldnt it...

treadmills are pretty accurate. elliptical machines im not sure about. lol

Who says accurate? Jeeze... they are totally inaccurate!! Completely. It s impossible to be accurate for two reasons. First, the calorie it a totally bogus measurement of energy. Why? Because they take a food sample, and BURN it and measure the energy given off. Last time I heard, we digest our food, not burn it. Therefore, calories are a total joke. Just another method to manipulate us.Second, even if the calorie was a real measurement, if two people were both on treadmills next to each other going at the same speed... one might keep going and going without hardly using much energy at all while the other would a lot of energy and be totally exhausted at the end of the exercise. Why? Two different fitness levels. Two different metabolism levels. Two different bodies. Two totally different people.Cannot possible be accurate at all. It would be better to measure such things in watts than calories.

I m not sure, I ve never heard that. I ve always heard that they are accurate. But, then again, it WAS for an ad. Ads usually lie. Like in those commercials for fast food restaurants, I think they go and buy some fancy restaurant s food, so they can use it for their commercial. That s why it looks really good in the commercials, but when you go to the restaurant to buy it, it looks like crap. lol. just my opinion!Amy

Very accurate.

pretty accurate!