Monday, February 12, 2007

Weight loss tips for somebody with an underactive thyroid? -

Apart from the obvious eat healthy and exercise is there anything else I can do?

I also suffer from hypo-thyroidism and find it hard to keep my weight down. I try to limit sugar and carbs and eat veg in prefer to other food. Avoid bloating food like bread and wine.I recommend Mary J Shomon s book The Thyroid Diet , it had a lot of helpful info and tips for weight management as well as for general well-being. Take good care of yourself as you may find you are more prone to other illnesses, as I am. Good luck and feel free to email if you want to chat about how it is affecting you.

I hope Gary M reads this note: don t take Soya milk, because the phytoestrogens in soya depress your thyroid function. Steer clear! I take Lactofree, which is just normal milk (and tastes normal), but the milk sugar is removed by adding an enzyme to digest it. Much better for you and low in fat too. Report Abuse

you can take a iodine supplement and it helps

Drink alot of hot tea!!!! With NO sugar!!!There are so many different natural teas, if you drink 3 - 4 cups per day. Especially in the morning it cleans out your system. Dont purchase processed, look for natural tea leaf...There are some teas that actually can help heal an underactive thyroid.

I also have an U/T, had problems when eating healthily, (night cramps/muscle spasms and anxiety), try a high fibre cereal with chilled soyamilk first and last thing.

Well, go to a endocrinologist. (specializes in thyroid disorders) take the daily recommended prescribed dosage. It s important that you choose an exercise that will reeve up your fat burning, like aerobics. Good luck to you!

Yes, learn about the condition and lab values. Quite often doctors leave hypothyroid patients undermedicated, especially when only a TSH is done. If you are on T4 like Synthroid or Levoxyl, you d want the morning TSH to be around 1.0. If you are on a T4/T3 med like Armour or Thyrolar, you d want the free t4 midrange and the free t3 high in range. If your levels are not where they should be, wegiht loss will be almost impossible.Stay away from soy and fluoride, as they slow down thyroid function.

make sure you are taking thyroxine if necessary. this needs medical prescription and regular blood tests. too much and too little thyroxine are bad. apart from that , diet (try the pause diet on google) and exercise are the only real options.

Maybe there is some medication that can help along with a low-fat diet? I don t know but maybe your doctor can help

if you truly do have an underactive thyroid surely your doctor is giving you thyroxine etc to correct it. This means you don t need a special thyroid diet!

well really you kinda have answered this yourself! drink lots of water, cut out sugary items ect!!

There are no specific tips other than ensuring that your TFTs confirm your levothyroxine dose is optimum. I agree it will be even more difficult to loose weight if you are still biochemically under-active.

I have a hypothyroid and put on loads of weight with my meds and everything. I tried all kinds of things and finally I got put onto a nutritionist guy who has helped to lose 36 pounds in the last five months. He has made sure the products I have used and my diet have been in keeping with my medication and ensured I stay healthy. His advice has been so good and so have the products I have used. He has done it all the way through and tracked my progress and all aspects of my health. Try www.myhealthabc.com, you can reach him through this. I didnt think that because of my problem I would be able to lose any weight but I have and he is going to show me how to keep off the weight in a couple of months when I have hit my target weight. the guy is real nice and helpful too. I hope this helps.

Are you taking thyroxine, which should help speed up your metabolism.

Check the following diet tipshttp://tips4diet.com/Try Diet and Fitness Search Enginehttp://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=016951��Download Diet Reminder Application it may helphttp://tips4diet.com/dietreminder.aspxTry to have a diet Quiz to increase your diet Informationhttp://tips4diet.com/dietquiz.aspxAlso use Diet Calculatorhttp://tips4diet.com/calculator.aspxBest Wishes,Have a Nice Day

Take thyroxine to bring your level to the normal range then eat less and exercise more.

Go for swimming easy and efficient way..and fun too....isn t it?