Saturday, June 21, 2008

How to lose weight with an underactive thyroid? -

Can anyone give me any tips and/or suggestions? I try to eat healthily and exercise a minimum of three times per week (exercise DVDs). The weight just doesn t seem to shift.

Yes, this is very common. Your metabolism will have slowed down with they thyroid problem and exercise is the fastest way to kick start it again but you need to look at how you work out and the kinds of foods you are eating. I can recommend a book for you - How to Lose Weight When you have a thyroid problem, written by a woman who had a similar problem to yours and she finally managed to get rid of all the weight by changing her workouts and diet. Maybe try that. Good luck

The reason why you can t lose any more weight is just because your already at your perfect weighti wish i was like you, i have underative thyroid too and i cant lose any weight, and i m not at the right level in my thyroid tablets,everytime i try and lose weight i can t. But your a perfect weight. Report Abuse

Are you taking thyroxin for the underactive? I have underactive thyroid but not enough to take thyroxin and over the past year I have gained over a stone, I stick to a good diet because I have just developed type 2 diabetes and the weight wont shift. Last week the doctor started me on Reductil slimming pills and I have lost about 5lbs and still eating the same as before, I don t do much exercises . I suggest you see your doctor as if you are taking thyroid medicine it might need to be adjusted and if not talk to her about it or slimming pills. Good luck.

I assume that as you have an under active thyroid that you have been prescribed thyroxine tablets. If not, why not? These keep your levels of the hormone normal. Therefor you should not have any weight problem associated with your thyroid.I wonder if it is just that you lack the necessary willpower to diet effectively? Exercise three times a week won t do much. Join Weightwatchers for encouragement.

Not here to offer a cure or offer diet blogs but I am a bodybuilder and this site is inundated with info on the Thyroid I use this site a lot myself hope it can be of help

Maybe your doctor could give you thyroid hormone if you are deficient.

Best see an endocrinologist, or just start with your GP.