Thursday, January 12, 2006

Diet Question! Please PLEASE HELP! 10pts!!? -

Okay, so here s the deal. It s long, but an easy 10pts. I really prefer a professional or someone who knows a lot about healthy (well, relatively healthy) weight loss to help me. I will be a little lax on the weekends (BUT NO BINGING, just maybe going out to eat occassionally), but plan on following this strictly for the weekdays.It is important to note, that I live a majorly sedentary lifestyle, prior to this...with occassional working out or doing chores/cleaning around the house..no real working out. I am a 22 year-old female who is 5 5 (almost 5 6 ) and weigh approximately 150lbs (fluctuates between 148-152, depending on the time of day..lol). I calculated my BMR and it seems that I need approximately 2000 cal/day for my specifics to maintain my weight. However, if I follow the following diet (I m a VEGETARIAN):Early Morning TOTAL: 70 CAL1 glass honey/lime water and 1 glass regular waterBREAKFAST (approx 2hrs later) TOTAL: 335 CALsmoothie (strawberries, blueberries, banana, yoghurt, little sugar and water/ice)1 Nutri-Grain BarLUNCH (approx 3-4hrs later) TOTAL: 300 CAL1 glass Metamucil, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup peaches, 1glass V8AFTERNOON SNACK (approx 3hrs later) TOTAL: 220 CAL-270 CAL1 cup coffee and 3 cookies OR 1 slice bread with light peanut butterDINNER (approx 2-3.5hrs later) TOTAL: 282 CAL1 salad with egg whites and 3tbsp of light italian salad dressingNIGHT (approx 2-3 hrs later or 1hr before bed) TOTAL: 90 CAL1 glass skim milkCALORIC TOTAL FOR THE DAY: APPROX 1300 CAL (give or take)And add about 1 hr of walking/light jogging per day, which is about 300 calories (from what I ve read). Questions: 1) Does this look like a healthy plan if I use it for approx 2 months?2) Will I lose weight, or will my body go into starvation mode?3) How much weight could I expect to lose? (from my calculations, its approx 2-3lbs a week, but I know that people plateau and there are other factors that I just don t know how to add in)4) Should I include weight training with free weights (2 10lb dumbbells) with my workout and if so, should I include it right away, or after some time (and if after some time, how much time)? Also, should I include sit-ups and push-ups, and how many?Once again, sorry sorry sorry! for the length, but I really am curious as to how much I will lose and how quickly (though I am in it for the long haul, I really only want to lose about 20-25lbs and then maintain), and can t find anything this comprehensive. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :) :)

1. I wouldn t say it s necessarily healthy, but it s decent at best. Anytime you re a vegetarian you re going to miss out on nutrients, unless if you take supplements. One, you re missing out on iron and b-vitamins. Together, these nutrients will definitely give you more energy. Two, you re not getting really any vegetables, just mainly fruits. Eating all kinds of food is the best way to go because you get the nutrients and the phytochemicals with them as well.2 and 3. You will absolutely lose weight. Anything less than 1200 cal. a day isn t healthy. You would lose roughly a pound every three to four days from what you ve stated. Your body will go into starvation mode only if you skip meals and cram food in short periods of time.4. Include any kind weight lifting. Muscles burns calories. Of course you will not get muscular if you re a girl; your estrogen balance overwhelms testastarone. For every extra pound of muscle, you will burn about an extra fifty calories a day.Overall, it s a fairly good diet. If you can incorporate supplements for nutrients you lack (most noticeably Iron, B-Vitamins, Omega 3), even though the food itself is much better because of the extra benefits, then I will say it s great. Good Luck.