Monday, September 22, 2008

Does anyone have any idea on how to lose weight while nursing? -

I m nursing my 3 1/2 month old daughter and I m trying to lose some weight but it s not working. I m afraid that my milk production will go down. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? I am walking for 30 minutes 5 days a week. I have started working again (part time) and have already seen a decrease in my milk production because my daughter isn t eating as often.

Changes in routine may upset the baby s patterns, too. To lose weight, exercise and be sure not to dehydrate (drink plenty of fluids...especially water). That would cause an increased salt flavor to the milk...and may not be as pleasing to the baby. Also see excerpt below:_______When looking after the child while the mother is away, an alternative caregiver may feed the child using expressed breast milk (EBM). Sometimes this may be impractical as the mother must produce and store enough milk to feed the child for the duration of her absence. The alternative caregiver may feel uncomfortable handling breast milk. These two situations may prompt the caregivers to use an alternative feeding method for the child either temporarily or permanently. However, a variety of breast pumps now on the market, both for sale and for rent, make it possible for working mothers to exclusively breastfeed their babies for as long as they wish.Excerpt from fourth source below:_________PERSONAL NOTE: When I was making the decision to or not to breast feed, it was brought to my attention that the foods that the mother consumes will impart flavors unto the milk. Therefore, it is possible that with your new part-time work schedule that you are consuming spicier foods than usual that disagree with what the baby is accustomed to tasting of you. I do not know it for a fact; however, it was reported to me as a fact. Chickens will actually impart flavors onto their eggs if the concentrations are high enough. In a guide to raising them, it stated that onions or garlic should not supplement their diet for that same reason. I suppose in time ... we could have flavored eggs if the market were developed.Keep it plain, Mom....keep it plain.

You might want to get a pump and express some of your milk. This kept my production up and helped the weight come off. Plus it felt REALLY good to get those things completely drained out!!

It s best not to stress about this. Did you know that breast feeding an infant burns up to 2000 calories a day in itself? I found that as long as I kept my fluids up, ate a balanced diet with plenty of fruit, vege and carbs for my energy levels - the weight came off naturally. One thing you can do is reduce your fat intake - eg use low fat spreads etc. It s early days yet after your pregnancy to be loosing weight. Also, if you can, its important to have a rest during the day. Breast feeding is a supply and demand situation - the more your baby nurses - the greater your milk supply will be.

Hi you sound like you are doing all the right things , just have lean protien plenty of vegies and fruit , drink plenty of fluids a vitamin recommended by your chemist will help ,also a breast pump will help you produce more milk because your body will think it has to make more you can freeze it for when you want to go out , good luck with your baby